Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day

This Mother's Day, I can't help but be overwhelmed by gratitude and emotion as I think about the tremendous blessings that being a mother has brought me as well as the blessing of my own mother, who prepared me so well for this huge responsibility with her love and example.


My mom left almost exactly a week ago. That's right...she was here for four whole weeks. During that time, she helped me heal, drove me to and from the hospital, did all my laundry, bought my meals, cleaned our room at the Ronald McDonald House not once, but twice, was anywhere I needed her to be so that I could spend time with Eli and Landon, Dustin, and Harper and never go too long without seeing any of them, encouraged me to stand up for myself and Harper (and then did it for me when I chickened out), went to Harper's early feeding by herself some days so that I could get a little extra sleep, was at the hospital with me from early in the morning to late at night (as late as 3 a.m. one terrible night that we had a bad nurse), got up every three hours with me in the night and took my milk downstairs to the fridge, laughed with me, cried with me, and loved Harper with me...for four weeks!

I just couldn't have done it on my own and I am so, so thankful that she was able and willing to stay for so long. I hope that one day my kids love and adore me as much as I do her!











And during all of this time, my sweet mother-in-law has had Eli and Landon and has taken such excellent care of them! It has been a huge relief to know that they are with someone that loves them so fiercely and would do absolutely anything to ensure their happiness. She has cooked, cleaned, played, done laundry, watched Eli and Landon's favorite shows over and over, gone on walks, bought way too many happy meals, driven thousands of miles so that I never had to go too long without seeing them, and most importantly...loved my boys almost as much I do. She has taught me many lessons on selflessness and she continues to be such a blessing in our lives.

I have so much love and respect for her for so many reasons, but mostly because of the fact that she is responsible for the person I married. If my boys could turn out exactly like their dad, I would be one extremely happy momma!







Happy Mother's Day to all of you mothers out there, but especially to the two who I get to call my own.

 I love you both!

3 comments:

Bethany said...

Happy Mother's day to *you*, Amy! What a special day of celebration for you and your family :)

Elizabeth said...

i praise God for those awesome mothers who have been able to help you so much!

D'Ann said...

What a blessing you have have given your mom and Neva. It says so much about you and the way you love.

Related Posts with Thumbnails